Re: Printing from vDos-lfn

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Sun, 11 Sep 2016
22:36:12 -0400

Harry,

> Using vDos-lfn with LPT1=/SEL, I can print to my wireless HP
> multifunction Laser Printer, but what comes out is the code for
> the PCL 12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL etc.

With LPT1=/SEL, you're sending a command switch to DOSPrinter, which
requires an Epson printer driver. This is one option. A better option,
IMHO, is to comment out the LPT1 directive and load a PostScript driver
such as POSTGHST.PRN or, alternatively, a Xy4 HP printer file. With
either driver, when the printer data is sent to LPT1, vDos-lfn
intercepts it and formats it as a PDF, which is opened (as #LPT1.pdf)
in the default PDF application -- no LPT1 directive needed. With a PS
driver, you get PS fonts. With an HP driver, you have the Xy4 Speedo
fonts at your disposal, some of which are quite useful also (see
http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xy/speedos.pdf). No need to choose;
try both.

--
Carl Distefano