Printing from vDos-lfn

No doubt this has been asked and answered before, but a search of my
XyWrite mailbox didn't turn up anything on this exact problem.
Using vDos-lfn with LPT1=/SEL, I can print to my wireless HP multifunction
Laser Printer, but what comes out is the code for the PCL
12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL
etc.

I tried Edward Mendelson's pcl6.exe and got the same results.
I would think this is an issue of the driver set in SETTINGS.DFL. I have the HP4-plus.prn set for this. Do I need to use something else?
Also, I thought I was going to get a PDF opened for my inspection, but I
get only the regular Print dialog box (printer properties, choice of
printer, etc.)