Re: XY and Memory Weirdness

Stephen A. Carter wrote:
> (
> > OS/2 Warp's disk performance can sometimes be improved by turning
> > off the disk adapter's on-board cache. This is because double
> > caching of the same data can cause a reduction in overall
> > performance.

  Now this is a different thing, a different cache entirely, and yes,
there is a lot of disagreement on how to use (or not use) disk cache. I
set mine at 2048 (with 32meg total RAM) but also have a 32meg permanent
swap file. It would depend upon how big your drive adaptor's on-board
cache was, I guess, whether you would use it or the diskcache.

> Also, IBM's PC Co. BBS (919/517-0001) has a couple of third-party
> utilities for benchmarking cache performance, but I haven't tried them
> out yet (486cache.zip, cachchk4.zip, and cachechk.zip).

  I just tried the above (ver 5 tho) with rather strange results.
Afterwards, I was able to run XY4 in DOS with L2 cache enabled, and no
crashes -- the postscript printer driver loaded, etc. Weird! Cachechk is
not supposed to cure anything, only check it. Don't know if it will
continue to work, but very interesting. Before I ran it, crashing XY was
completely predictable. Suddenly everything is okay -- you got me!

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here -- and you