RE: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

>As for "Windows (which Mr. Binswanger says he curses daily
>
>My clients an I use Windows 98 Second Edition. I would hear of a
>crash if anyone had one, and it does not seem to happen. The
>program never crashes with me, and my most accident prone client,
>who on occasion has had two versions of XyWrite open when she
>needed more than nine windows to work in, has also never had a
>crash--and I would hear from her instantly if she did.

I don't curse Windows 98 for crashing--which come quite infrequently--but
for the stupidity of the user-interface and the install process. But don't
get me started.

>I cannot see ever leaving XyWrite, and I also see myself
>operating in the Microsoft operating program environment well
>into the foreseeable future.
>
>How can we make it so folks like Mr. Binswanger and others do not
>"curse daily" what should be a productive and pleasant working
>environment.

1.The fundamental is the whole design of the thing, particularly the way
mystery files are scattered on the hard drive. But 2. Don't make it
necessary to go through a long line of clicks to get to where you want. Why,
to get to Device manager, should you be expected to hit Start,Settings,
Control Panel, System, Device Manager? (Because I am a power user, I have a
desktop icon that takes me right to Device Manager, but MS didn't tell me
how to do it. And 3. make the install of new hardware easier (plug and
play--hah!). And 4. at least *sell* me a complete manual--the "help" files
are usually no help.

>Better yet, what can be done to constantly increase the ease and
>productivity of the writing process.
Offer a fully customizable keyboard, as Xy does; enable us to avoid the
mouse altogether.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger