Fw: Way off list for wordsmiths

Dear David

I would be most appreciative if you would resend your email.  In my initial letter, Stephen's mother was called Aunt Sarah by my sister, all my cousins and me.  Unfortunately I never received your letter and it is not yet on the Xylist server.

Thanks.

mailto:avromf@xxxxxxxx or mailto:af413@xxxxxxxx

David B. Kronenfeld wrote:
>         An "incorrect" system, but one that has shown up in ca. 14 % of
> classes in which I have probed this is one in which cousins who are
> one's parents' age, and with whom one interacts, are sometimes referred
> to as "uncle" or "aunt".

I would say this is more a matter of courtesy (respect for
elders) than of genealogy; I believe it has a long history among
English-speaking peoples (and may even have an antecedent in the
Hebrew scriptures). So long as the persons involved are aware of
the real genealogical relationship, it's OK.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx href="mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxxpriscamg@xxxxxxxx