Re: off topic: different cultures, same ideas

The Caribe tribe discovered by Columbus was a cannibal tribe.
Both the Mayans killed and the Azetcs killed thousands of their own people in rituals that included cutting out the hearts of the living as crowds watched. They also participated in sacrificing young virgin girls to their gods to try to bring on good weather. All of this is well documented.
The much-maligned Inquisition lasted more than 300 years in Spain. The
death toll was, depending on which historian you read, between 3,000 and
10,000 during those three centuries. It was NOT the savage process
described by Edgar Allen Poe and recent writers, and it was nothing
compared to the brutality of tribes in N. and South America. The
Inquisition was an honest and open effort by the government of Spain to
remove Muslims from the population who were bent on subverting the
culture. (we see some effort in America along those same lines today. In
the last year there has been a formal, government-sanctioned "inquisition"
of thousands of Muslims on vague suspicions of possible treason). It is
well documented that Catholic Church tried to distance itself from the
excesses of the Spanish government's Inquisition.
It is rare to find writers favorable to the Inquisition, but they are out
there and worthy of reading for those who don't know their argument. These
are available on the Internet. One good one is by James Hitchcock (do a
google search) and Warren Carroll has written on this matter.
The death toll at certain Aztec or Mayan festivals was more than 1,000 in a
day!