Re: Editing a 2GB+ file

The email definitely replicated itself inside Eudora. There was no 1.5 GB download. It was unintentional malware, since everything incoming is scanned twice, by a professional scanner at the server and by my Kaspersky on the laptop itself. In fact, it was a press release with a bunch of links, M$Word smarttags, images and attachments, one of which made Eudora nuts.

And probably not an attachment, because my attachments directory is well outside Eudora itself.

The publicist I irately contacted said no one else on a mailing list of 400 had reported any
problems, except for a complaint about the size of an attachment. Which seems odd to me, because
I've set Eudora not to download anything larger than 1MB. (I get a message instead with the option
to download the rest--wonder if T-Bird has that feature.) I didn't get the too-large message. For
all I know, everyone else on that mailing list is using Outlook or T-Bird.

Another Eudora user told me that Eudora does not always get along with .mhtml email. Neither, I
think, does Firefox. Every so often I'll click a link in an email and Firefox will keep opening tab
after tab until I stop it with Task Manager.

Eudora occasionally downloads the same email from the server 2-5 times. But not the hundreds or
thousands of times that happened here. Perhaps I should have kept a copy of the original email as a
specimen, but because it messed up all my email for 3 days, I was in full eradication mode. I
suppose I could request another copy to this Yahoo box....

Jon Pareles