XYIII Programs catalog

Here's the list of stuff I have available for III+.

If there's enough interest, I'll find a way to get the package to either the
list or to individuals. I'm keeping a list....

Tim Baehr
®FC¯XyPower Programs
®LDį

Add-Ins for XyWrite III Plus, Ver. 3.55 and Above
By
Timothy J. Baehr

®FL¯
®LDį
®RHAXyPower Programs®LD ¯page ®PN¯
®LDį

¯

Although I've made serious efforts to make these programs bug-free and user-friendly, the programs
on this diskette are offered without warranty.

®MDBO¯SHELL PROGRAMS®MDNM¯
These programs offer point-and-shoot convenience for managing disk files or printing a series of
files. You just mark one or more files in a subdirectory and then act on all the files with a
single keystroke.

XYSHELL 2.2 allows you to copy, erase, move, or call one or more files at once. You can also rename
or write-protect files, with or without wildcards. The program also allows you to launch .BAT,
.COM, or .EXE files with a single keystroke. With XYSHELL, you get many of the file-management
features of programs like PCTOOLS, with virtually no memory overhead, and all within the familiar
environment of XyWrite.

PRINT! lets you print out a series of files by marking them in a directory. You can arrange the
files in any order you want and print out any number of copies. Imagine being able to print out a
cover letter, catalog list, and price list automatically. You can also set up XyWrite's standard
chain printing from this program.

®MDBO¯SNAPSHOT/®MDNM¯®MDBO¯ALBUM®MDNM¯
Imagine this: you're working on a long document, or you have several windows open, when you must
interrupt your work. You might need to exit XyWrite to run a memory-hungry program, work on another
set of documents in XyWrite, or just go home for the day. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take a
"snapshot" of your entire setup and be able to get back to it automatically? SNAPSHOT
does just that: It captures the information about every window you're using, including file names,
window numbers, and cursor positions. It even saves your save/gets to a special file. Each file is
saved to disk and its window closed. Then SNAPSHOT creates a stand-alone macro in XyWrite
programming language. When you run the macro later, your previous setup is recreated automatically.
 You can take any number of snapshots, giving them any names you want. The companion program,
ALBUM, calls up a directory of your snapshots and lets you choose one.

®MDBO¯QUERY®MDNM¯ 2.0
QUERY lets you search and capture text across multiple files. In effect, it can turn almost any
file or group of files into a data base. Imagine being able to find -- and record in context --
every instance of a customer name or phone number in a subdirectory or in a series of files selected
from the subdirectory. Imagine searching for a concept or idea in all of your note files, creating
a new file that gathers all the information, including the names of the source files it searched.
The powerful shell component of QUERY lets you mark files in a subdirectory, inspect them, put them
in the order to be searched, and so on. The main program then prompts you through a search setup,
asking you for the search string (wildcards allowed) and then prompting you to specify
case-sensitive vs. non-case-sensitive; capture of sentences, lines, paragraphs, or mail-merge
records; and positive vs. negative search. The program also allows you to do a search-and-replace
operation across files marked in a subdirectory. It's a little dangerous, but it can be a real
time-saver when you need it! New features for Ver. 2.0 include word counts across marked files and
the ability to do a preliminary search, indicating in a directory just those files containing the
target string.

®MDBO¯XYBASE®MDNM¯
XYBASE is a series of programs and information files that help you set up a data entry and
management system using XyWrite's Forms and mail merge capabilities. You are guided step by step
into creating an input screen and report format. XYBASE includes a powerful sort function, search
function, and so on for managing the database it has helped you create. It is the kind of database
system you would have if you wanted just a modest way of tracking a record collection, phone list,
client list, accounts receivable, and so on, without investing in a fancier filing system. It is no
speed demon, but it does the job admirably.

®MDBO¯SMALL UTILITIES®MDNM¯
GOAWAY! is a single-file version of SNAPSHOT. It records the filename, subdirectory, and cursor
position for the file you're working in and builds a stand-alone macro to take you back to where you
left off.

FIND is a single-file version of QUERY. It searches the file for a target string and records the
"finds" in a separate, stand-alone file. You can look for the target string in sentences,
lines, paragraphs, or mail-merge records. Wildcards and negative searches are supported.

BLOCK allows you to isolate a block of type in a file, modify it, and return the block to your
original file. This is handy if you want to do a global replace ("Change Invisible") on
just a portion of text. Temporary files are created to hold the original block and the changed
block, so you can afford to change your mind later.

BLOCMARK offers a menu-driven way to mark and operate on blocks of type: delete, make underlined or
bold, save, center, mark for print type, and so on. Most operations are achieved with single
keystrokes. This is faster than a pull-down menu system would be.

CHAIN! assists you in using XyWrite's file-chaining ability. You merely call up a directory,
indicate which files are to be in the chain, and press Esc when you're done. CHAIN! then builds
your master file for you -- all in the right format, and with no typos. You can edit this file, use
it again in the future, or replace it the next time you run CHAIN!.

SUPER POWER SEARCH automates search set-up and provides for (1) instant recall of last target
string, (2) one-key recall of last 6 target strings, (3) capture of marked block as a search string,
and (4) automatic search of an entire subdirectory. There is a stand-alone version, SE, and a
hot-key version, SRC. With SRC, macros are loaded onto hot keys for sudden results!

®MDBO¯SMALLER UTILITIES®MDNM¯
LOGG lets you log on and off, keeping track of the time in between. When you run LOGG ON, the
current time is placed at the bottom of your active file. When you run LOGG OFF, the current time
is placed at the bottom of your file and the elapsed time is calculated ®MDBO¯in 24-hour
format, in hundredths of an hour.®MDNM¯ This means that you can easily do math for
time-billing, etc.

COLUMNS1 and COLUMNS2 come as a set. They set up column tables without your having to do math. All
you do is establish an overall right margin and then run the program. COLUMNS1 lets you specify the
number of columns and the space between them. The column widths are then calculated automatically.
COLUMNS2 lets you specify the number of columns and the width of the columns. The space between the
columns is then calculated automatically.

ANNO automatically sets up a column to the right of whatever paragraph you're in. You can specify
the width of the column and the space between the two columns. You can use this new column for
annotations, etc.

SNAKE1 and SNAKE2 also come as a set. They set up snaking columns for you, without your having to
do any math. Again, the advantage is that you can set up an overall right margin for the page.
SNAKE1 allows you to specify the number of columns and the space between them. Column widths are
calculated for you. SNAKE2 allows you to specify the number of columns and their widths. The space
between the columns is then calculated for you.

STYLES captures information about your margins, tabs, print type, line spacing, and offset and
creates a named style for you. It automates XyWrite's Styles function and makes it truly easy to
use.

STACK keeps track of the last six commands you have entered on the command line and allows you to
play them back one at a time. A special feature prevents the stack from filling up with identical
commands when you repeat them (for instance, when you're doing a search).

®MDBO¯SPECIAL KEYBOARD ENHANCEMENT®MDNM¯
The keyboard enhancement files expand your keyboard file to give you an extra shifting key. The
extra shifting key works like Control or Alt with your keyboard to give you an almost totally
intuitive way to define text and delete it, save it, and so on. It also allows you to set up
searches and search-and-replace operations semiautomatically. Just press DEFINE (your new key,
mapped to F4) and L to mark a line. Press DEFINE-Del to delete the marked line. Or just press
SHIFT-DEFINE-L to delete a line in one key combination. You can do the same thing with S for
sentence, G for paraGraph, End for End of line, and so on. Press DEFINE plus a cursor key, and
you'll see a search frame on the command line with the cursor properly placed for entering a search
string. Because most key combinations are so intuitive and easy to remember, your work in XyWrite
is greatly speeded up. It's much faster than Alacarte!! All of your normal key combinations
(except F4) are completely unmodified. Whatever you already know, you can keep on using.

®MDBO¯(Almost) Free Utilities®MDNM¯
Here is a series of utilities for just the shipping charge:

COUNT gives the number of times a target string appears in a file. You can specify case/non-case
sensitive and whole words vs. part words.

TOTAL adds up any series of figures in a document. The figures have to be marked with a leading
symbol, such as a dollar sign. Handy if you use XyWrite files as a data base (see FIND and QUERY).

LOCKUP simply locks your keyboard until you press Esc. A good way to keep you from accidentally
typing a row of b's as you reach over the keyboard for something on your desk or to write a note.

MODES lets you mark words with a following brace symbol (}) and then convert them all at once to
underlined, bold, italic, or bold underlined. It can be a real time-saver.

CENTER! lets you center a block of type on its longest line, while retaining an even left margin.
It's ideal for poetry, signature blocks, etc.

RIGHT! lets you move a block of type flush right, again while maintaining an even left margin.

FLUSH automates the flush-center, flush-right, and flush-left commands. It allows you to center
(for instance) a marked block and leave the rest of the text alone.

CAPSFAKE lets you type in all caps even if you have converted your Caps Lock key to another use (as
in XyWrite's SUPER.KBD keyboard file). The program loads onto a program key and doesn't require a
special shift key of its own.

PT inserts printer codes into your text. If you have defined any text, the code for the surrounding
type is inserted at the end of the block.

®MDBO¯Who is Tim Baehr and why did he write all these programs?®MDNM¯
I know you're probably not asking that, but here's the answer anyway:

I've been a writer and editor for about 20 years, creating educational materials for students and
their teachers. I started freelancing about 10 years ago, just about when computers were finding
their way into the hands of "ordinary" people. The computer changed my life, or at least
the part of my life involved in making a living.

One of the nicest features about XyWrite is its programming language. Maddeningly difficult and
nonintuitive, it nevertheless has yielded amazing results for me. All of my programs were motivated
by one of two sources: I needed a certain function in my work, or I wanted to prove to myself that
something could be done. The programs on this disk are mostly the result of the first motivation.
I initially wrote these programs for myself. I used, and still use, many of them every day
(SNAPSHOT and XyShell come instantly to mind). Some are loaded onto hot keys (such as SRC) and are
in constant use. In this way, I have developed and refined my programs, making sure they're
user-friendly and as bullet-proof as I can make them. It should be evident when you run my programs
that they were written by a writer for writers.
®PG¯