Re: diacritical problem

On 04/16/97 at 07:21 AM,
  "Bruce L. Felknor" <70721.2307@xxxxxxxx> said (in so many
words):

<- Ever since I "upgraded" from III+ to the present 4.011, I have been
<- unable to print out any but a couple of the vowels with umlauts or
<- accents, usually getting a blank space or the bare "a" or "e," "n"
<- without the tilde, etc.

There are some differences between III+ and 4 that are possibly relevant.
4 uses "symbol sets" and you might want to try changing your default
symbol set.  In my settings.dfl file it looks like this:
 df sy=10U,0,0,1

If that doesn't work take a look at your printer file and look down in
the relevant SU: section and cross check the substitutions (if any) for
the foreign characters with the printer manual.

<- I also have been unable to get footnote numbers in text to print in
<- superscript. (I.e., when I use MDUL nothing happens -- the FN number
<- prints in line with the text.)

Another difference between III+ and 4. I'm not sure why you mention
MDUL. Xy4 uses the superscript setting for footnote numbers in the
text--so you should check that printer file again and make sure that the
entry for superscript comports with the printer manual. Xy4 does allow
control over the style of the footnote number in the footnote/endnote.
That's the SC default. Again, check in settings.dfl; the relevant default
setting is SC and it should be:

 df sc=su

meaning that footnote numbers in the footnote are superscripted. If you
use

df sc=fn
 and add a MD FN to the printer file then you can have a special mode for
those numbers.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

It is not the horse that draws the cart, but the oats.
          --Russian proverb

David Auerbach              auerbach@xxxxxxxx (David Auerbach)
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU