Faster PUTCR

In using XPL to format emails for my listserv, I have started formatting
blockquotes by putting in spaces as the beginning of each line, so that the
(plain-text version) looks like this:

He wrote:
  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The best way I can come up with to do that involves calls to PUTCR for each blockquote, and since there may be 10 in the file I'm formatting, this gets what counts as slow in the computer age--takes 3 or 4 seconds.
Now maybe I should re-conceive my algorithm, but I was wondering it,
instead of PUTCR, there is a way to use CHange invisible to search for soft
s and replace them with hard ones.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Binswanger