Re: Answer Found Re: How get Xy to use network printer

At 03:04 PM 11/24/2007, you wrote:
What is \\office doing in the net view command? Is office the name of the workgroup or of the PC? It's the PC's name you want, though if you change the workgroup name, you'll have to reboot before you can do anything else with Net.

Office _is_ the PC name, and it is where it should be. And it doesn't work, no matter what LPT I give it.

I know what I'm doing, at least with respect to the net use command, and I'm not doing anything wrong; I've known what to do since I got my XP computer and bought an XP handbook.  Net use didn't work then, and it doesn't work now.

I think there's some sort of underlying fault with the software on the computer related to networking, but I can't find clues online that (so far) have led anywhere useful. I've got the most current drivers I can get for the network card, so that's not it (the original drivers made no difference either), though that was one of the solution suggestions.

But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't pay to try to fix a problem that's been solved in other ways. Creating a imaginary always-offline duplicate of my USB printer on LPT1 and pooling them has completely solved the problem. So I've stopped worrying about my net use problem.

-pl

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie