Re: (OT) PowerMac | VPC {was: bad excuse but inquiry}

On Sep 17, 2004, at 2:19 PM, J. R. Fox wrote:
Interesting report, Joseph. There are a few points not always mentioned in
the comparative discussions of the merits of various laptops.

 1. How good is the keyboard ? (Size, layout, key-feel.)
The recent Powerbooks are known for a wonderful keyboard feel and
durability - I can't speak to the quality of the current iBook
keyboard - only what I've tried in store demos they seem good quality.
My experience is that the only Apple laptop keyboard I hated was the
ultra light weight DUO models keyboard. It had problems from the start
and even after several attempts at revision to their keyboard never
quite made it.
 2. Screen quality ?
The PowerBook G4 screens are beautiful. After two+ years of service I
have no dead pixels and my wife using a Toshiba notebook is always
envious of the clarity of my 15" screen. New models come equipped with
either NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 processor in 12" model or, the ATI
Mobility Radeon 9700 in the larger 15" and 17" PowerBooks.
 3. Battery life ? Swappable or extended-life battery options ?
Alas I miss the hot swappable days of the Pismo and Lombard G3 - they
had an extra bay where one could exchange the CD or FDD module for an
extra battery. I do currently own a G3 Lombard 512 mb RAM 400 MHz G3
with extra capacity batteries currently being sold by
Newer-Technologies company with the two batteries I get 8-9 hours of
battery life - if I am not using WiFi or taxing it out with the CPU. My
G4 without hot swap capability gets a sad limit of about two hours or
so. Newer Technologies has a long life battery for the G4 I just don't
need it with the ability for such long life on my Lombard G3 when I
need to be away from AC for a long period.
4. How hot does it get ? Many laptops actually get too hot to rest on one's lap. (Several Thinkpad models have run noticeably cooler than most.)
As a rule of thumb the faster the processor the more probability it
will be a "lap toaster". My G4 starts to get warm but never gets to the
point that I can't work with it on my lap - and I live in Florida where
I am often in short pants with my laptop on my lap - like right now
responding to this.

How do the PowerMacs stack up in these areas ?
I don't have the experience to know how the PowerMac or iMac stacks up
in these areas. Apple just released a new iMac G5 and it is basically
the LCD a bit thicker than a flat screen LCD and it's where the all the
case components are located - the CPU/RAM/HD along with the slot
cost about $1,300 - looks interesting - you can view at Apple.com.

Jordan