Re: Save selected DF block to file without EOF marker?

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Fri, 17 Sep
2004 15:09:48 -0400

> When I looked at the attachment in XyWrite (and I have doc info
> turned off), none of the end-of-file gibberish showed.

Of course not. *In XyWrite*, it is written in the file _after_ the EOF
character. Nothing displays in XyWrite after the first EOF character
(Ascii-26). This is ELEMENTARY XyKnowledge!

> So even if it's
> there, it shouldn't show up with doc info turned off, no?

DocInfo Off or On makes no difference! If the file was created with DocInfo,
XyWrite continues to maintain DocInfo for that file. But it will _never_ "show
up" in the sense of being displayed in the XyWrite text window (if that's what
you mean).

> (I used to use
> doc info, then turned it off, but when I open old files saved when it was
> on, it doesn't show up. In XyWrite at least. Maybe it would be there in
> an ASCII editor.)

LIST the file. I.e., use LIST.COM. You'll see it, at EOF.

> when I opened Russ's
> attachment in my other plain-text editor, EditPad, it was headed...
> and what followed was a string of gibberish--all of it.

That's not gibberish. That's Base64 encoding. (I'm guessing, of course. A
little quote of the "gibberish" would elucidate your observation, and your
question.)

> Does XyWrite automatically convert base64-encoded text?

No. Of course not. I mean, it _can_: Carl's BASE64 utils in U2 decode the
stuff marvelously well. But in this case, your Emailer probably decoded it,
when you stored the attachment in order to be able to look at it in XyWrite.

Clearer questions make for clearer answers.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx