Re: Xy3 text into Outlook E-mail

Peter,

The Academy upgraded to MS Outlook? No wonder I haven't gotten the new
meeting calendar yet.

I use XyWrite III 3.55 myself, with Eudora Lite. I ignore mail.prn. Every
time I want to insert a file into Eudora, I save it in XyWrite to a file
called C:\save.tmp (although I will now consider changing it to c:\1.tmp).
Then I import it as an ASCII into Eudora.

If I have lots of XyWrite formatting to get rid of, I use ch /≪W≫//

(where ≪ and ≫ are the french braces, and W is the ctrl-alt-W wildcard).

I don't know if you have formatting that you need to preserve. Who needs
carrier returns at the end of every line? If I did need formatted pages,
I'd use the TYS command.

If you're going to be at the National Association of Science Writers party
on Thursday, we can talk about it there.

Norman

At 08:45 AM 12/1/99 -0000, Peter Brown wrote:

>I use Xy version 3.56. Some time ago I wrote a little kbd macro, which makes
>use of mail.prn, to get Xy-composed text into E-mail messages. This has
>worked well in Microsoft Exchange, but in its wisdom, my organization
>insists on "upgrading" Exchange to Microsoft Outlook. That doesn't work;
>hence this cry for help.
>
>I suspect the issue is 16 vs. 32 bit. I'm using append file as text (not
>attachment) in both Exchange and in Outlook. Outlook sees nothing. OTOH,
>using Xy4-DOS, Outlook appends text just fine. I can hear the chorus:
>switch to Xy4-DOS, and yes, I may do that. But does anyone have a fix that
>would make this work with Xy3?
>
>The keyboard macros run like this:
>
>50=bc,r,u,n, ,c,:,\,r,o,u,t,i,n,e,s,\,m,a,i,l,1,.,p,r,g,xc
>;ctrl-shift-m prepares onscreen file for e-mail in with XyWrite
>header
>;and formats, under the name c:\peter\1mail.tmp
>51=bc,r,u,n, ,c,:,\,x,y,\,s,t,a,r,t,u,p,.,i,n,t,xc
>;ctrl-shift-comma (key just to the right of m) restores printing
>with
>;3hplaser.new and resets margin defaults
>
>The program mail1.prg this invokes is simplicity itself:
>
>≪BC≫ erase c:\p\1mail.tmp
>≪BC≫ lp c:\xy\mail.prn
>≪BC≫ c:\p
>≪BC≫ tyf,,c:\p\1mail.tmp
>
>The name 1mail.tmp is chosen to put the file at the front of the Windows
>Explorer directory listing. To E-mail a Xy file, I just type ctrl-shift-m,
>switch to Exchange, Insert the file 1mail.tmp as text only, the switch back
>to Xy and type ctrl-shift-[comma] to restore my default printer driver and
>margins.
>
>Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Peter Brown
>pbrown@xxxxxxxx