Re: XyWrite and voice recognition

In your Message regarding "Re: XyWrite and voice recognition"
dated 05 Jan 99, TBaehr@xxxxxxxx said that ...

> In a sidebar, one user notes how demanding the hardware requirements are, but
> says that if they are met, and you talk more like a news anchor than Marlon
> Brando, accuracy can approach 98%. Also, "My own accuracy drops off quickly
> once I try to dictate at over 100 words per minute, but so does my ability to
> form coherent sentences."

Precisely so. Speech recognition software probably has some value
for those who dictate more-or-less standard, semi-literate
business letters (although how well SR handles "etcetera,
etcetera" compared with a human secretary is another story).

Given that at least 99% of word processing software is used by
people to create more-or-less standard, semi-literate business
letters, SR likely has a great future.

For that minute fraction of the population whose job
involves careful, precise writing, greatly over-represented in
this list, SR is about as much use as a stone club.

 (Come to think of it, of much less use. I train writers; and a
stone club could come in quite handy. "Next guy to write a
vapid, meaningless, inelegant sentence gets it.")

--

Alan Lothian

alanl@xxxxxxxx