Re: Win95 settings

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Paul Williams wrote:

> >It's actually possible to put an entry into your Registry that makes
> >XyWrite an option on the right-click mouse menu, just like Quick View,
> >Notepad, ACDSee, and so forth. Works like a charm.
> >
> How?

Open up your registry (go to Start, select run, enter Regedit and press
Enter). Select the very first element of the top registry area (I'm
answering this on a machine in which this kind of thing is disabled,
so I have to be a bit vague)-- the ".*" file definition. Right click
on this and create a new Value named Shell (this'll be on the left
side of the split screen). Right click on Shell and create a new Value
called Open. Click on default value (on the right side of the screen)
and give that a value of "XyWrite Editor" or something-- this is the
legend that will appear afterwards when you right click on a file and
get that list of options. Right click on Open and create a new Value
called Command. Click on default value and give the directory address
of your XyWrite ("G:\DOS\XyWrite\editor.exe" for example).

Works like a charm. (It's a bit disconcerting to switch from Windows
to DOS and back, I admit. At least on my system, this takes a second
or so while the monitor blinks out and revives itself.)

Note that this lets XyWrite open up EVERYTHING, rather than strictly
text files, so do your Right-clicking with a gentle hand.... You can
of course use the same technique to give file access to other programs
and you should be able to use this to give a program access to just
a single defined file type, if for example you want XyWrite only to
work on files named something.XYW

----------
Of course you knew this all along, didn't you, since it's just so
completely obvious to any idiot using the wonderful Windows operating
system with its super-extraordinarily detailed user documentation.
Only fools like me have to pour over this web page and that trying
to figure how to do stupid shit like opening files as easily as in
MS-DOS.  God, do I love Microsoft! I worship Bill Gate's backside!

  ms44278@xxxxxxxx
  Mike Shupp
  California State University, Northridge
  Graduate Student, Dept. of Anthropology