Re: Index-creation software

The main limitation I've discovered with indexing in XyWrite is indexing
not merely points in the text, but actual passages. This isn't a problem if
you already know where the page breaks will fall. If you don't, though, or
if you'd like to be able very simply to recompile your index if the
pagination does change in a subsequent edition, it's a problem. I found
ways to work around this in XyWrite, but they were quite cumbersome. I
eventually ended up doing the indexes in Word, which was much better. Word
also had it's problems, though: mostly that the macro I wrote sometimes
executed excruciatingly (and mysteriously) slowly. In future, I think I'll
use dedicated indexing software, about which I've read good things.

Alan