Re: Win10 upgrade news

Hello Daniel,

Windows 7 still has an overwhelming market share with almost half of all
installations, Win 10 has some 15% of the market, and Win 8.1 and Win XP
are at a par with around 10 % of the market. Mac OS's account for 6.5%
and all others (Linux, Solaris, other Unixes, etc.) for 6.7%. With
Windows 7 you would be in good company, at least for the time being.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

The common wisdom is to stick with the operating system your machine was
shipped with. Why change? After all, it was current at the time of
manufacture of the machine, and they were designed for each other. As
long as basic security is ok, there is no reason to switch. After all,
the Pentagon is still using eight-inch floppy disks that predate the PC
era to manage nuclear weapons.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/

P.S. I am not against buying new systems with new operating systems like
Win10 or Linux. Indeed, you may have to, if MS plans for restricting
processor support to Win10 materialize.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake
The good news is that you may virtualize your old setup on the new
hardware platform. If you do not want to do that, keep the old hardware
with its original software.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

Since the XPS 720 isn't being supported for Windows 10, yes, I'd go back to Windows 7.