Re: Version confusion.

At 01:59 PM 12/20/00 +1100, Michael Edwards wrote:

>   However, for now I would like to ask: if I were to buy a new copy by the
>usual means (which I take to be from The Technology Group), would only the
most
>recent version 4 be available anyway?

I think you have to ask TTG about that. When I bought XY from them, they
were offering Ver 4.017 (DOS) and Ver 4.12 (Windows).

If Ver 3.x is not sold anymore, I don't think there should be great moral
concerns about just copying it? Or what is the official view here?

>spare copy for sale) it's all academic anyway. But are there good reasons
why I
>might do well to consider looking for version 3 rather than 4?

XY 3.x fits happily on one floppy, so that what you want if you really want
to travel light.
Otherwise, you are stepping into a great ideological debate here, that will
go on as long as the list...
Both versions use the same format and user interface, so you should not
worry too much about getting the "wrong" version. Whatever you learn in one
version, you will not have to unlearn for another.

>   I was also interested to read that version 3 was "castrated" in some
manner
>after a certain version because of a law-suit. (A pretty unfortunate
reason to

Only version 3.56, and as the XY literati have pointed out here, the
castration can be easily reversed with some minor surgery.

>   Does anyone have any thoughts about these version questions - or
should I
>forget it all and just accept the recent version 4 I've been offered?

It is your decision. Ver 4.0x is certainly the one that most power users
here strongly advocate.

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
Wilde)