Legal pleading paper

Back in the Glory Days of Xywrite, Xyquest from time to time published numbered
Application Notes; they run from 100 to 229, the last being dated May 1992 so
far as my files reflect. Three of them deal with the "Legal Format" task that
John Cumming is working on:

141 Using PostScript to Create a Legal Format
178 Using the LaserJet II or IID to Create a Legal Format
189 Using PostScript to Add Lines and Borders

The procedures run several pages each, and are too involved to repeat here.
But if you'll let me have your address, I'll mail copies to you. (Or perhaps
someone on the List knows if they are available online somewhere?)

The Line Number (LN) command offers considerable control and flexibility, but
there are problems with it which I described in detail in several posts to this
List a few years ago. For no apparent reason, a document with line numbers
which has printed OK will suddenly begin having left margin problems which no
amount of reloading the document or even Xy will cure. The exact same file,
CAlled to a different but identically configured PC, will print perfectly. It
must be a memory problem of some sort, but so far as I know it has never been
nailed down.

Like Carl, I'm a New York lawyer and we have never (or at least in the 25 years
that I have been at it) had to use paper with vertical rules and line numbers.
In my early days, when word processing meant IBM Mag Cards and every sheet of
paper was inserted in the typewriter by hand, it was customary to use ruled
paper for pleadings but I don't recall that any court rule actually required it.
In any event, as word processing and especially laser printers took over, the
efficiency of using one kind of paper for everything became apparent and the
vertical rules went away along with 13 and 14 inch paper.

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx