Re: Internet Explorer

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Richard Giering wrote:

> Hi
>  Another comment re Internet Explorer: I re
> folks:cedntly purchased a language translator
> package (LanguageForce.com) and fond that the only
> way it would work was if I also installed the most
> recent IE. It seems that LanguageForce used the
> Microsoft language packages as part of their
> package. I installed and immediately removed the
> icon.

The module you needed is probably Microsoft Global IME. which enables
input for both traditional and simplified Chinese in Microsoft
applications like Outlook. It's part of current IE5 installations, but
it's also included in MS Office 2000, if you can swallow that.

[No doubt it's also in Win2000, but with that you get total MS tracking
of your every move. (You *have* to register or it dies on you, and give
up serious identifying information when you do.)]

Unitype Global Writer is another path to go (I believe it's the source
of the Microsoft module). It isn't cheap on its own, but it comes as
part of a CD-ROM product called Languages of the World, which you may be
able to pick up for $30-$40 at your local software rack. It allows
editing in some 50 languages, including CJK. Pretty impressive.

Nota Bene's new Lingua for Windows so far contains just Greek, Hebrew,
Cyrillic, and European languages, plus most characters for
transliteration of most other languages, and does so with just the
Multilanguage Support that comes with Win95/98/NT. You have to be sure
Greek and Cyrillic are checked. LinguaWin is only just out in
"pre-release" (improved NBWin for the adventurous), and I don't think
there's a download demo for that version yet.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."