Re: Off-topic: Backing up non DOS files in Windows 98

In a message dated 8/27/03 3:34:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pmgodfrey@xxxxxxxx writes:

When you say "Windows 98 only offers me the option of copying to a disk
in Drive A," do you mean that Windows doesn't recognize your ZIP drive AT
ALL (i.e., when you click on My Computer, there's no Drive E: at all)? or
just that it's there but you're having problems copying to it?

       The former. Thank you for thinking about this for me! As always, the list has come through!  I've solved the problem, thanks to earlier postings from Harry Binswanger and B. Gillessen, whom I thanked off-list. The Gillessen solution -- dowloading "Winguest" from Iomega -- will have to wait until my computer is scrubbed clean and started afresh. My ailing operating system downloaded Winguest but absolutely refused to install it.
       But Binswanger's recommendation for saving non-Dos files in DOS (put the name in quotes at the C:> prompt -- e.g., "C:\My Documents" )  worked like a charm.
       I should have posted a problem-solved message to the list, as well, but what with trying to get everything copied, plus meet a couple of deadlines before the computer crashes, while also getting my child back to college for the fall semester, I've been a little crazed. My apologies and thanks to one and all!
Lynn Brenner