Re: Mouse wheel is now supported in vDos-lfn

Wengier,

It's no doubt not worth the bother. But for the record, XyWrite reports the
scancode of Ctrl-w as 2065. That's from the U2's SCAN frame. Or are you
saying that that embodies the flag?

Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry, I think it will become very complicated if I allow for such movements. For example, you might even want the cursor to move up, right and up, right again, and doing this can be quite difficult to be implemented. Also, if you only have one mouse wheel, how can it handle such complicated tasks? A single keyboard message consists of the scancode, unicode and various flags. The Ctrl state is part of a flag within the keyboard message. When the scancode and various flags are combined, the system will uniquely identify the key pressed, so the scancode alone cannot uniquely identify the keys. For example, W and Ctrl+W have the same scancode, but their flags will be different, so the system will be able to tell about the difference between these key presses. Furthermore, Ctrl-W/Z is intended for programs like WordStar and DOS EDIT, not XyWrite, so you probably want to use a different setting for WHEELMOD instead (but admittedly, Ctrl-W should not output plain W in XyWrite either; I am wondering what causes this on your system, as this never happens during my testings). Wengier On Sunday, August 28, 2016 2:41 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote: Wengier, Do you mean two separate wheels? No, I've never seen that. By 2-D mouse control, I'm talking about being able to use the mouse to move the cursor up and down AND right and left. If the Ctrl state is not part of the scan codes, in what sense is it outputting ctrl-w rather than just w? (And, in fact, plain w is what I get as output to XyWrite.) Regards, Harry >Hi Harry, > >The scan codes you mentioned are generally correct (except that the scan >codes should be 72 and 80 when you set WHEELMOD=4). The Ctrl state is >*not* part of the scan codes. Rather, it comes as part of an extra flag, >and the actual scan codes are not affected by it. I am not exactly sure >what you meant by "two-dimensional mouse control". You meant like pressing >Left and Down at the same time? But I think your mouse does have both >vertical and horizontal scrolling wheels, so you should be able to achieve >this easily by scrolling both wheels about the same time. Hope this helps. > >Wengier > > mailto:hb@xxxxxxxxhb@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > >Wengier, > >This is a very nice suite. > >On my system: >WheelMod 4 puts out scan codes are 2 and 6 >WheelMod 5 puts out scan codes 75 and 77 >WheelMod 6 puts out 73 and 81 >WheelMod 7 puts out17 and 44. > >In other words, the Ctrl state is not coming through. > >Is there any way to get two-dimensional mouse control? Like a WheelMod that >puts out different things in a shifted state? > >I'm using WheelMod 2, which does a LR and LL, so it moves through the text >from line-end to next line-beginning, but that's pretty slow. > >Regards, >Harry > > > > >I made a cleanup of the mouse wheel feature in the latest vDos-lfn build > >(build 2016.08.27). Now the WHEELMOD supports the following: > > > >WHEELMOD=0: Disabled > >WHEELMOD=1: Up/Down arrows > >WHEELMOD=2: Left/Right arrows > >WHEELMOD=3: PgUp/PgDn keys > >WHEELMOD=4: Ctrl+Up/Down arrows > >WHEELMOD=5: Ctrl+Left/Right arrows > >WHEELMOD=6: Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn keys > >WHEELMOD=7: Ctrl+W/Z keys (as supported by WordStar and DOS EDIT etc) > > > >P.S. Horizontal scrolling is also supported as before (via the optional > >second argument) and the two scrolling methods can be switched at the > >run-time with a shortcut. > > > >Wengier > > > > > >On Friday, August 26, 2016 11:17 PM, Wengier W mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxmailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxx g>dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > >Hi all, > > > >I have further expanded the mouse wheel scrolling feature to support > >mapping to Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn (WHEELMOD=4) and Ctrl+W/Z (WHEELMOD=5). > >WHEELMOD=4 seems to work pretty well in XyWrite, while both WHEELMOD=4 and > >WHEELMOD=5 appear to work in programs like WordStar and DOS EDIT. The > >expanded feature is now supported in the latest build of vDos-lfn, i.e. > >build 2016.08.26. Hope this will be useful. > > > >Wengier > > > > > >On Monday, August 15, 2016 10:19 AM, Wengier W mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxmailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxx g>dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > >Hi Kari, > > > >When you use the up and down option, I think you can make the scrolling > >faster in XyWrite by holding the ALT key. But the PgUp and PgDn option > >will cause the scrolling even faster. I have changed the documentation > >regarding the WHEELMOD option, which currently says: > > > >Mouse wheel movements can be automatically converted into keyboard presses > >in vDos-lfn. By default, the standard vertical scrolling is converted into > >up and down arrows, but with the WHEELMOD directive you can customize the keys. You may optionally also specify a second value if your mouse supports horizontal scrolling (it's converted into left and right arrows by default). > >Note that you can switch the two scrolling methods by pressing the middle mouse button and either the left or the right mouse button at the same time; > >the original behaviors can be restored by pressing the middle mouse button alone. To customize the converted key presses of the mouse wheel movements: > >(0 - disable; 1 - up/down arrows; 2 - left/right arrows; 3 - PgUp/PgDn) > > > >rem WHEELMOD = 1,3 > > > >Let me know if you have other comments about this. > > > >Wengier > > > > > >On Monday, August 15, 2016 2:03 AM, Kari Eveli lexitec@xxxxxxxxlexitec@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > >Hello Wengier, > > > >This is no big deal but in my case the cursor jumps to the left, text or > >no text. I have LU and LD in the keyboard file, keys 72 and 80 > >respectively. In the numpad 100 and 102, I have paragraph movement > >functions. How is this tied to the wheel movement? > > > >By the way, the PgUp and PgDn option is really great. I think I will be > >using this. > > > >The documentation should perhaps state that the WHEELMOD option is > >enabled by default. > > > >Best regards, > > > >Kari Eveli > >LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) > >lexitec@xxxxxxxxlexitec@xxxxxxxx > > > >*** Lexitec Online *** > >Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.htmlhttp://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/http://www.lexitec.fi/ > > > > > > 14.8.2016, 18:18, Wengier W (Redacted sender wengierwu for DMARC) kirjoitti: > > > Hi Kari, > > > > > > Since the mouse wheel movements are simply converted to up / down > > > arrows, I don't think they should do anything different from the UP / > > > DOWN keys, at least in theory. I believe the cursor jumps to the left > margin only if that line happens to be empty. On the other hand, I never > > > used Xy keyboard functions "cu" and "cd" before so I am not really > > > familiar with them. Maybe someone else can help with this? > > > > > > Wengier > > > > > > > > >