Re: Xy4 - OS options

On 06/08/2011 02:17 PM, J R FOX wrote:
--- On Wed, 6/8/11, Raphael wrote:
Short question -- long answer: I know there are some basic guides out there but I hesitate to recommend them -- something like this for example -- http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ubuntu-Linux-Emilio-Raggi/dp/1430230398/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
There must be some good "For Dummies" type book out there, whether from that particular series or not . . . . Jordan
There are, but they are extremely basic, and not detailed enough to be helpful setting up Dosemu. In some cases, the more detailed books I've looked at recycle old info that no longer applies to the release of Ubuntu that they are ostensibly devoted to. Some better starting points for info, using online sources (all Ubuntu related), are: Official Ubuntu documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/ Other documentation https://help.ubuntu.com/community http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid (if you are interested in the LTS version of Ubuntu; there also other sections devoted to other releases of Ubuntu) Starting point for installation info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation?highlight=%28\bCategoryInstallation\b%29 More re installation Read the "Installing multiple OS on a single computer" (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Installing_multiple_OS_on_a_single_computer); it's the only explanation I have found so far re installing the Grub bootloader onto a partition instead of the MBR. Good starting point for info on partitioning: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning%20issues?action=show&redirect=Partitioning An older but still valid discussion of partitioning strategies when installing Linux http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning (and the index for this site, which can be useful: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index) Site for info on how well specific printers are likely to work: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro Printers can be a problem. First, let the installation process try to set up the printer. If that doesn't work well, then check out the above site or the manufacturer's site. Paul