Re: Xy4 - OS options

Paul has done a more thorough job of taking notes than I have -- he is
spot on about installing the Linux bootloader to Linux's partition,
something I have to remind myself, though fortunately I haven't had to
install for a couple of years now.
And since I haven't done a good job of keeping a book, I am only now
recalling why I didn't like sharing partitions, and I am wrong --
permissions work just fine, for instance for shuttling file between my
laptop, which can boot Windows 7, where my Xy files live on as FAT32
partition, and my Linux-only desktop.
I have not run into very many U2 routines that don't run, and all my
batchfiles ran ok, though I did have to change some paths, but I think
that was to get rid of some cruft. It took a little fiddling to get the
Random House dictionary going, though once again I can't recall what
that involved. I had to massage the system clipboard share batchfiles,
and I still have to go through an extra step on my Gnome desktop to
paste Xy-originated text, a minor inconvenience -- even though the text
is in the clipboard, it won't paste into a Thunderbird composition window.
A question, Paul -- are you having any issues with Unity? I'm not in a
hurry to get to 11.04, but I am perfectly content with Gnome, to the
point where if I do move forward I will probably install Gnome.
And to amplify: many view Evolution as something of a bloated pig, since
it's based on Outlook, I think. Thunderbird is leaner and meaner, and
well-maintained.
Definitely worth experimenting for the curious. I want to get rid of
all my Windows partitions, but I probably can't -- for one reason: photo
editing which I do very occasionally. I like the Nikon proprietary image
editing software, and though it runs in XP under Virtual Box, it's very
slow. Nikon Capture NX not worth the trouble of adding XP to this box,
particularly since it's much more problematical [hmmm, the first time I
have ever used that word] to install Windows over Linux than the other
way -- but if I were doing it all over again, I probably would stick a
smallish XP partition on. Having said that, 1) I'm consistently
startled by how well Virtual Box handles XP programs, and 2) if I were
better with Photoshop, I'd probably have switched over to Gimp, which is
essentially a Photoshop clone, for image editing.

-r