Re: Xy on a flash drive

Carl wrote:
So, instead of DF WW=D:\XY4\FILTERS (the absolute path to the
conversion filters subdirectory), you write DF WW=.\FILTERS (the
relative path).

Why add the ".\"? Isn't it the same to do just "FILTERS"?
Only problem is, DF WW=.\FILTERS in SETTINGS.DFL (or, on the CMline,
D WW=.\FILTERS) triggers an error 165 ("Invalid default setting").
I get an error too (even without the .\). If this is the only default file
in question, maybe it's worth remembering to do it by hand. Another
possibility, if there are many, is to write a little DOS program to get
user input as to the desired path, then change the settings.dfl and
startup.int to put that in. I could write that in BASIC and compile it to a
DOS .exe file for you.
So it seems that some kind of generic, "portable" solution is
required after all.
I've used your subst Z: solution, but am now wondering if XP takes the
subst command.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx