Re: Xy on a flash drive

Reply to note from "Chris Madsen"  Tue, 29
Jul 2003 10:56:40 -0400

> You have to do the same with settings.dfl [i.e., "stick all the
> stuff you want to load at startup into the same directory as
> EDITOR.EXE"].

So, instead of DF WW=D:\XY4\FILTERS (the absolute path to the
conversion filters subdirectory), you write DF WW=.\FILTERS (the
relative path). Brilliant! A lot simpler than my PORTABLE.INT
solution.

Only problem is, DF WW=.\FILTERS in SETTINGS.DFL (or, on the CMline,
D WW=.\FILTERS) triggers an error 165 ("Invalid default setting").
The desired default VAlue doesn't "take"; default WW is set to the
null string. And, even if it did take, what if, at some point
during the editing session, the base path changes from the directory
that contains EDITOR.EXE to something else? Now, default WW points
to -- in all likelihood -- a non-existent subdirectory!

So it seems that some kind of generic, "portable" solution is
required after all.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx