Nota Bene customizing?

Like many of you I have used XyWrite for years (I started with II+ in
1984). Since we have been unable to pry SmartWords out of TTG, NB seems
to be the only possibility open to improvement.

My concern with NB is its apparent restrictions on customizing. Unlike
XyWrite, NB's menu system, the last time I checked, was not based on an
editable file.  Does anyone know whether this has changed, or whether
there is some way to write the interface as there is in XyWrite?

Myron