Re: OT Re: virus warning

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey
on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:40:07 -0400

You wrote:

> 57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
> Mom Reveals $5 Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!

May we know more?

And isn't the factory default the same Miscrosludge that you
don't go near? I suspect there's just a teenie possibility that
they actually DO know something about the software they've
written. That may seem preposterous, but... hey, they wrote it.
And I know myself that everybody makes mistakes from time to
time when writing software, or doesn't foresee some contingency.
Now, of course, I haven't made a single mistake since 1997, and
before that regrettable instance (which had something to do with
the dishwasher, as I recall) I'd have to reach back into
primordial time. But still...

If it's this virus that we're talking about:

http://www.malwarehelp.org/fake-windows-security-center-analysis-and-removal-2009.html
then it's really easy to get rid of it: delete a couple of
files and one registry entry, and done. Rewriting your system
drive/reformatting is really never necessary, and almost
unthinkable if you've got a lot of software (i.e. not an
option). I've got rooms full of computers, always running, and
I've _never_ done it (except when a whole hard disk died).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx