Re: problems with session restore

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Fri, 06 Dec 2002
13:12:39 -0500

Actually, let me look at your original message again, Bill:

> ...now that I am using ethernet or USB instead of
> parallel for printing, I seem to crash Xy4 every now and then when trying
> to print under XP.

Ethernet *OR* USB?? What's that mean? Is it a local printer (attached to your
workstation) or a network printer? If it's a network printer, whether USB or
not -- and EVEN if it's a network printer attached to your local machine but
shared by other remote machines (either LAN or WAN) -- for purposes of printing
from Xy4DOS (if that's what we're talking about, or Xy3DOS), you want to use
the NET USE command, and assign an LPT# port to the printer (a local "alias"
for a network resource -- this is mostly needed by legacy apps, like XyW, that
are looking for traditional ports to print to). Something like:

NET.EXE use LPT1 \\HOSTNAME\HPLaserJ /PERSISTENT:YES (or :NO -- see the NET
command docs, such as they are[n't]; "HOSTNAME" would be the **network name**
of the machine to which the printer is attached, even if it's your own XP
workstation!)

That associates local LPT1 with the network object HPLaserJ, and enables you to
still write, old-style, in your PP table in SETTINGS.DFL:

1{tab}d:\path\HPLJ-4.PRN{tab}my USB network printer

Maybe there's a way to get XyWrite to directly understand a USB port, but .. I
doubt it.

Whoops!... This is irrelevant to your situation, but: I just went and looked
at my XP machine, and found that I don't use the Epson C60 at all from XyDOS --
I send everything to another printer on my LAN (an HPLJ). Reason: the Stylus
C60 uses the Epson/P raster language, and it doesn't work from DOS. I'll bet,
if you could get the specs, you could make it work, but I can't find any
technical definition of Epson/P raster codes anywhere on the net. You could
easily make the older ESC/P and ESC/P2 languages work with XyWrite. For the
record...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx