Re: XYWRITE digest 1515

Carl, I never quite trust page-line view. Especially with dumped
footnotes. But there's another workaround I recalled; the caveat is that
one must wait until one is absolutely certain that nothing will be moved
around in the work before doing it, because this procedure breaks the
connection between footnote numbers in the text and the actual notes, and
if the number gets moved, or worse deleted, the notes will be out of
order (Alternatively, if one knows that someone else--e.g. a copy
editor--will be doing things to the copy, do this from a copy of the file
and then delete it, so that only the working copy, with notes that are
really notes, is in use.) That is to strip the notes to a separate file
(there's a routine in U2, I wrote one myself a few years ago, and I think
Leslie has one that they use at Columbia; this is often needed in
publishing). Then your filelist could read
ch01txt.txt ch01nts.txt ch02txt.txt ch02nts.txt
and so on. All the notes will print, and your page numbers, indexes, and
TOC will be ok.
	What I'm wondering is what causes the chain printing glitch? Is it
really a bug in Xy, or is it an artefact of the speed of modern computers
and parallel ports? Scratch parallel ports, because it shows up even with
PRINTS. It would be interesting to try it on an old 286 or 386, if one
could find one in working order. Or possibly it's the amount and speed of
modern cache memory. When I get a chance, I'm going to try this: Boot up,
go into the BIOS and disable the cache, boot to DOS (because Windows will
probably go bananas if it doesn't find the cache it's used to; cannot do
this with ME and other OSes that doen't let you boot to DOS), run XY, and
see what happens when I try to chain print.
Patricia