Re: XyWin chokes on late-model HP deskjets--and a workaround

Carl Distefano wrote:
Hmm, Patricia, I'm mystified on two counts. Why would "parallel
drivers" work with a USB port? And, assuming that XyWin was
instructed (with a UWF command) to use the Windows printer driver,
why would XyWin squawk about the DLL?
Apparenly I wasn't clear: one printer, which is advertised as printing on parallel or USB or both, is hooked up to two computers, one through its parallel port, one through its USB port. In the original installation, the PC with the parallel port didn't have a USB port, and the HP CD didn't want to install. (When I installed it on the other PC, it asked if I wanted to run it off the USB or the parallel port.).
As for the DLL, I'm guessing here, but a Find HP*.dll c:\ turned up the
same dlls in several subdirectories (c:\Windows\System plus several
subdirs of c:\Program Files, where the CD had installed the various
additional doodads). So I conjecture the presence of the same dll in
different places (on the drive and in the Windows Registry--easily 500
references) confused XyWin. Once I got all the doodads out and
reinstalled JUST the driver (which left one copy of each dll, in
C:\windows\system), XyWin was perfectly content.

Patricia M. Godfrey