Re: Linux and XyWrite

Patricia wrote:
Our options seem to boil down to 1) Getting XyWrite working on Linux or
Mac; 2) settling (and paying, again and again) for NB and hoping it gets
fixed, or 3) stockpiling P III systems as they become available on the
aftermarket.
Never even having been able to *install* NB (despite many phone calls), I'm
going for route 1. XyWrite works under Virtual PC in the Mac, OS X. The
only thing I haven't been able to do, as I previously reported, is get
XyWrite to shell to DOS.
Interesting footnote to that: I installed a DOS emulation under Virtual PC,
and Xy can shell to DOS under it. I will do speed testing soon. The version
of DOS that I'm using is from Windows 98, and when I type VER at the C:
prompt, I get:
Windows 98 {Version 4.10.2222}
BTW, does anyone know how to FTP in a DOS system without Windows? I thought the FTP.EXE program was pure DOS, but it won't run w/o Windows. There used to be something called, I think, "runtime Windows" that enabled programs like PageMaker to run even though the system was just DOS. Could that be applied to FTP? Or maybe I should emulate Win 3.1, which I suspect would run Xy faster than Win98 does.

Looking for the fastest way to run Xy under Unix. Any ideas appreciated.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx