Re: XySearch back online (+ Request)

XySearch is back up again:

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi

The server fetches new mail every morning at 05:30 Eastern U.S.A. time (09:30
GMT); while processing new mail it goes offline (typically for 5 minutes).

I'm searching for a more stable way of operating XySearch. The problem is that
I travel a lot, and I'm reluctant to leave an old desktop machine running in my
absence -- bad things can and occasionally do happen (I've experienced two
unprovoked computer fires, luckily both times I was in the same room). Plus
the big old boxes are a noisy distraction, but difficult/unwise to conceal in
the closet. Therefore I usually carry a CD of XySearch around with me, and run
the service at remote locations. Unfortunately, this is a very time-consuming
and cumbersome way to run XySearch, and means there are frequent intervals when
the service is down -- my stamina is waning. Notebooks are much safer (DC
current/no fires), but the only extra notebook I owned was recently trashed.
If anybody is trading up and would be willing to donate an old notebook to the
cause (not less than a Pentium I 133MHz, 64 Mb memory, and 2Gb of hard disk
storage), it would enjoy a prolonged 24 x 365 life (dedicated to this one task)
-- and there would be no more outages. Contact me privately if you have any
ideas. I suppose we could install it on a big stable computer somewhere, but
it needs occasional (sometimes major) intervention, and the prospect of remote
administration is not appealing.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx