ANSI vs ASCII

Can anyone tell me when a character (less than decimal 32) is an ANSI
but not an ASCII character. I wrote to Nota Bene asking for information
on how to use the XYWRITE end of paagraph symbol - the arrow (Decimal
27) - in place of the paragraph symbol (decimal 20) that they use. I
thought that for characters less than 128, the terms ANSI and ASCII were
synonymous
 I received the following reply, that I don't understand:

On the issue of the substituting an arrow for the paragraph symbol:
while the arrow was an ASCII character, it is not an ANSI character, and
only ANSI characters can be substituted..

Dick Giering