Re: xyos2shl problem (Douglas Beeson)

** Reply to note from "Beeson, Douglas"  05/23/96

> When I run "o2 " with no other
> parameters, I get a brief flash of dos or os2 command line, then
> I'm right back to XyWrite. Oddly enough, I have had luck launching
> OS/2 apps using the o2 command with parameters.
>
> Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

In general, what's happening is that O2.PM is shelling to OS/2,
encountering an error in the execution of commands, therefore
aborting/exiting to your exit_process application, which is XyWrite -- and
because XyWrite is the same app that initiated the shell, you make a round
trip -- albeit to no particular purpose. Again, in general, if O2 works
with handcrafted parameters, then I'd suppose that the problem lies with
your defaults, i.e. the parameters that take over when you don't specify
overriding substitutes at runtime.

If you are commanding "o2", you need to look at your "empty
synonym" to see what the defaults are. Command "o2 /nv<
Helpkey>". The
first "empty synonym", i.e. an equal sign (=) following by a string of
parameters, is the operative one. Depending upon your configuration, I
would assume that it would look something like one of these three:

="FullScreen OS/2 Command Session" /C /FS /P:XyWr /R call directory "G:\";
"G:\OS2\CMD.EXE"
="Full_Screen OS/2 Command Session" /C /FS /P:XyWr G:\OS2\CMD.EXE
=/L:"Full Screen" /P:XyWr

The first is a small Rexx program. The second calls your COMSPEC by
filename (it may be something other than CMD.EXE, e.g. it could be 4OS2.EXE
or whatever you use). The third starts up the full-screen object. You
should swap all three lines into the top position to get a feel for the
different ways that they work.

Anyway, something in the topmost command (in _your_ list) is wrong. The
filename? The path? Look it over... Be aware too that behind these
defaults lies yet another set of defaults, which are honored to the extent
that you do not override them in your hand
written command line or in your
synonym (alias) string. These are hard-coded at the beginning of O2.PM, in
Save/Gets 661-669.

Lemme know if you're still having trouble. It _will_ work properly!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx