Re: XYWin on Win 98

I suspect this is an 'artefact' of your having installed it, as opposed
to copying an existing installation. The installation routine uses
Protected Mode (this is deduced from experience; I'm not savvy enough to
look at the code to see it). I certainly run XyWin on W98 with no
problems. If you still have the hard drive from whatever you were running
it on before, copy that folder over (ZIP it and send it to yourself over
the net, copy to a ZIP drive if you have one, or try a Direct Cable
Connection, which is as kludgy as all get out, but does work), or
temporarily install that drive in the W98 PC and use XCOPY32 from the DOS
prompt--or even drag and drop. Unfortunately, XyWin, being recognized as
a Windows app, uses a LNK, not a PIF, for its shortcut, so you cannot
adjust the settings for memory use. How much physical RAM do you have? Do
you have any other major applications open (icons on the taskbar, not in
the tray) when you try to run it? If you got to a DOS prompt and type
MEM, what does it tell you?
Jordan: Where, oh where do you find keyboards (AT ones at least) with the
F keys on the left where they belong? I saw a Northgate at a show and
sale once, but no docs or drivers. Likewise the Gateway with the double
set of F Keys. Even if I could find one, would it work with Win9x? (I
seem to recall you use an OS/2 descendent.)
Patricia