Re: pelotron and drivers and trouble

Avrom Fischer wrote:
I had ordered a new pc from dell without a windows operating system.  Without windows drivers I could not get it to read my external hard drive or the cd or dvd burner/readers even after hours of their tech support.
I had better not comment on the criminal imbecility of a company that
would sell you a PC without a driver CD. It would be a rant to end all
rants.
I have partitioned it into ten 23gb logical fat 32 drives.
Good. I strongly recommend that you set one of those drives aside for DOS apps (I think you're running WordPerfect DOS too, so it won't be too much wasted space). That means you're going to have to edit your Xy configuration files, but it looks as if you may have to do that anyway.
an external hard drive. In turn I than copied xy and my other dos
word processors onto my new pc
I have no experience (yet; we're going to get one at the office) of
external hard drives. BUT check that none of the files you copied to
the new PC from it have either their Read Only or Archive bits set.
Both can throw Xy into a terminal tizzy. Navigate to them in Windows
Explorer, right-click on a couple at random, and chose Properties.
Look for two small boxes with Read Only and Archive next to each.
(Working at the 98Se box now, so I cannot recall where exactly in
Properties they are under XP). If you find any with either set, open a
DOS prompt and type
ATTRIB -R -A c:\xy\*.* /s
Assuming c:\xy is your Xy directory. Might be a good idea to do this regardless.
xy which was on my c drive on my old pc and is located in the same
directory on my new pc loads fine until the last step when it goes blank.
OK, first check the properties of your shortcut. And you should NOT be
using a plain-vanilla command prompt, but a dedicated shortcut just
for Xy. Create one: Navigate to editor.exe in windows Explorer.
Right-click on it. Choose Create shortcut.
Try again. If Xy still won't load, you're going to need some kind of
movable medium, on which you can shuttle your customization files
(startup.int, settings.dfl, xy.kbd) back and forth between a system
with working Xy (doesn't have to be XP; I hope you still have your old
system available) and this one. A Flash drive is best, because it
isn't as likely to get the Read-only bits flipped the was Cds do.
(There are ones that can be used under 98SE).

First open startup.int and type
;*; before the line that reads BX load settings.dfl Q2
If you don't have that line, look for one that says load something.dfl; one can rename settings.dfl.
Copy that copy of startup.int to the new machine, try again, and
report back.
Meanwhile, check that settings.dfl (or whatever) does NOT have dt=4.
Anything else, but preferably =1 or =2 (draft mode, page breaks off or
on, respectively, markers visible, though UM must also be =1 if
they're to display). DT=4 is graphic mode, and cannot be run full
screen (on almost all systems; I have one that lets me do it, but
that's just wierd.)
I am using the same monitor on this pc as I used on my old pc.
What VGA adaptor? I'm going to send you, off list, a dandy little utility that you don't have to install (just double click it on a flash drive or even a floppy) that will tell you what hardware you're running on, what software is installed, and tons of other stuff about your system.
an amd athelon processor 64X 2 core processor 2.10 ghz.
Anyone else running on an Athalon 2-core? I very much doubt that could be the spanner in the works, but it wouldn't hurt to have confirmation.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx