Re: saving to alternative disk directory [semi OT]

Paul Lagasse wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend 9.10 -- though it does some things very nicely, there are a couple of bugs in Nautilus, including one that likes to move all my desktop links to the upper left every time I log on, and I'm very lower right oriented. Oddly, it's only the links. Folders, files, and launchers stay where you put them, so I converted all the links I wanted to launchers, which works fine, though it's a touch more effort to set them up. And Conky is turning out to be a hassle to run to, though that's undoubtedly some small tweak in conkyrc. I'll probably continue with Mint 6 as my main desktop.

Paul
don't want to get too off-topic, but in case you weren't familiar with
it, Compiz-Fusion is a big help with organizing windows, and it looks
really cool as well -- the famous Desktop Cube is extremely useful (I
keep my Xy windows on a desktop apart from all the other stuff).
the desktop installation certainly benefited from my experience using
the netbook -- just my understanding of symlinks alone saved a lot of
work, since I simply pointed to the old Xy directories on the original
partitions.
except for a few bits here and there, I'm pretty much set -- the only
concern is backup. I've got an external 1-tb HD on which I run Grsync
(very simple gui frontend for rsync) daily on /home and the partition
where the Xy files live. quite barebones, but my understanding of rsync
is less than elementary. I should probably figure out a bulletproof
system whereby in a disaster I could reinstall the whole system with one
command, but it's easy to put off doing that kind of delving. how are
you backing up?

-rafe