Re: Joe Solla's objection

TB > Joe Solla took me to task for wanting to set a price for an extensive
TB > set of menu enhancements.

TB > 'Scuze me, Joe, but Nathan posed the question in the first place -- how
TB > people could get their hands on the "prizes" without entering the contest.
TB > If I just made the stuff available to everyone for free, what's the point
TB > of the contest? (And "available to everyone" means disk duplication,
TB > mailing, etc. -- the stuff is around 750K, nothing I'd want to download
TB > if it were offered.)

HS > Hey, if there's a market for something -- why not?

750Kb really is very commonplace today, Tim -- 3 or 4 minutes
maybe of Xfer time. And as you know, XPL sizes down very
dramatically when ZIPped.
Alternatively, you could snail a single disk to Nathan for
placement on the server's FTP, where we could all easily retrieve
it. But you might clarify whether this is a commercial product
or not? I took at face value your original statement that "the
main point . . . is to share with each other and have fun".
"Sharing" is by definition a free act ("shareware" and like
perversions of sense notwithstanding) and, in your formulation,
it was to be bi-directional too ("...with each other...").
Therefore I conclude that
Joe misunderstood you (that you were protesting the costs of
multiple disks+postage), and that Harmon's defense, however
crass, of commerce and classified ads in tele-conferences,
however loathsome, is moot? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but
it seems to me that "the point of the contest", as you put it, is
to have some fun first, and then, when it's over, you show us
your stuff -- right?

Robert J. Holmgren holmgrn@xxxxxxxx