Re: LOG

Reply to note from "M.W. Poirier"  Sat, 10
Nov 2001 16:56:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Why do I get a "sharing violation" warning when I try to change
> the location of the MY.LOG file from the root directory to the
> \xy4\DOCS directory?

You're probably trying to SAve or STore the U2 file. Instead, with
the U2 file in the current window, issue LOADHELP or, more
briefly, LH. Then ABort U2.

Another, more structured, way to set a User Variable is to use the
SETUV command. In this case, you would issue SETUV LOG,
edit the User Variable as desired and then, as per the PRompt, hit
Enter to STore and reLOAD the U2 file. (Command HELP LH
and HELP SETUV for usage details.)

The sharing violation happens when you try to SAve an already-loaded
U2 file (or any other Help file). Xy blocks the SAve to avoid
losing or corrupting the index that's used to locate frames --
programs, menus, dialog boxes, etc. -- within the file. LOADHELP
(or SETUV, which makes a call to LOADHELP) gets around this barrier
by temporarily loading a dummy file, enabling the displayed file to
be written to disk. It then reLOADs the newly-SAved file.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx