Re: log files in NB?

I agree with Tim that the XY log feature is kludgy, but it is
quite workable and I use it all the time. It will reopen any
number of files in the same windows with the cursor where it was
when you closed. I believe it also restores loaded save-gets
etc.; check the manual.

It is simple to get round most of the original kludginess. It is
largely due to the ability to use different sets of logging
files, so you have a choice of which set to open. If you ignore
that, and always log to a set of files named LOG, it is all quite
simple.

To log open files, I run the following inelegant little program
{square brackets [] indicate XPL commands, and ≪≫ are
guillemets; note the actual ENTER's in the program, 2 in a row
after "e"):

[DX][GT][AK]flc
log

[DO]≪EX≫

There is no problem about unlogging (reopening everything). All
you need to do is run the little program that logging creates,
with the command
run log.rst
which of course you can assign to a key.

NOW . . . back up your files, buck up, and try it.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science