Re: [Fwd: Xywrite]

Garry McDonough:

>will XyWrite for Windows work correctly with
>the Epson 600 or (preferably) the Lexmark 7000?

I never use color myself, but (i) nobody else had answered when I read the
message, and (ii) I sometimes like writing from a state of total ignorance
(at least it encourages people to fire off learned corrections).

With Xy for Windows, you have a choice between using Xy's own printer
drivers and those of Windows. If you want access to the full, amazing,
XyWrite character set, you'll want to stick with the former. If you don't
particularly want this, you can use Windows'.

Now, using Xy's drivers means you're dependent on TTG (despite its name,
not known for dedication to keeping up with technology) or dependent on the
good work of other people here (very knowledgable and helpful, but unlikely
to want to roll a driver for a printer they don't have themselves)--or you
have to write the damned thing yourself.

Such is the market share of Windows that no printer company dares not to
have a Windows driver for each of its products. And if there's any flaw in
the driver, they'll soon hear about this, not only from the 17 users of
XyWrite for Windows but also from the 6478953 users of Word.

So the simple answer is to kiss goodbye to, say, ease of combining Turkish
and Icelandic characters, settle for Windows printer drivers, and stop
worrying about other problems. (Well, aside from the numerous,
printer-independent bugs of XyWin itself.)
Peter Evans