Re: Windows cursor behaviour

** Reply to message from "Robert Holmgren"  on Thu,
19 Dec 2002 04:34:07 -0800

I'm trying to think of why, in MSWord, you would want to select a word and
then move the cursor to the beginning of that word? If you wanted to make
the selected word bold, for example, you'd just apply the bold style to the
selection. You would not go to the beginning of the word and insert a
"Begin Bold" command as you would in a linear, code-based word processor
like Xywrite or WordPerfect.

In Xy/WP, there's a long string of text with commands inserted at various
places that turn on or turn off formatting (think of a length of rope
with knots at intervals). In MSWord, you've got text objects (basically
characters or paragraphs) to which format styles are applied (think of Lego
blocks of various sizes and colors, snapped together.)

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx