Re: Xy on Mac

Y'all,

I'm running VPC v7.0.1 on a Mac G4 and have installed virtual w2k. As
others have rightly pointed out, you need not install w2k in the VPC
environment. If you wish to run only DOS programs, you can, of course,
install DOS alone in the VPC environment. I chose to install w2k because
I have other apps to run, not only Xy.

VPC allows the installation of multiple virtual OSs under different
profiles, and they can be run simultaneously.

I appreciate that what Lisa has installed, Parallels, is slightly
different to VPC.

Just so yuz can see what we're talking about, I attach some screen shots
from the VPC environment. Maybe Lisa can find equivalent functions in
Parallels and keep us up-to-date on her progress in navigating around
the Mac file system in virtual DOS/virtual Xy.

As several people have pointed out, there is no equivalent to the c:\
root in Mac. DOS simply finds no such thing on the Mac HD. The magic
word in Mac is that you have to "mount" [sic] a hardrive. This is
accomplished in the Mac HD utility. This was necessary to get DOSBox or
iEmulator to see anything on the Mac HD. It was not necessary in VPC
however, which has solved the file system visibility problem within VPC
itself.

So, to the screen shots:

VPC7-0-new OS.jpg shows: a) the typical Mac OS in the background
(Finder, aliases to InDesign, Illustrator, etc.). b) the app currently
active is VPC where virtual w2k is running; I activated the "new"
function which opened the window in the foreground. This is where you
would install DOS or whatever.

VPC7-0-share.pdf shows the menu function which allows the virtual OS to
'see' folders on the Mac HD. My virtual w2k 'saw' the Mac's CD-ROM and
the network adapter off-the-peg; no configuration was necessary (apart
from an IP address on the virtual NIC). This function may be available
only after you have successfully installed an OS in the virtual
environment, however. I don't know whether this function was available
before w2k was installed because I installed w2k and VPC together as a
package. As I was installing w2k from CD-ROM, it helped enormously that
VPC recognized the Mac's CD-ROM out of the box.

Trying to get a virtual DOS-only OS to 'see' the Mac HD appears to
present additional difficulties. It may be that Parallels hasn't solved
the visibility problem between the two OSs so neatly as VPC has done. We
just have to wait and see. Keep at it, Lisa--we await further news with
baited breath.

VPC7-0-share-options.pdf shows the share options available, once a
shared folder has been selected on the Mac HD.

Incidentally, virtual w2k selected a different hardware address for the
virtual NIC than the Mac's hardware address on the physical NIC. This
means that, as far as the network is concerned, they are separate
entities and can therefore share files by (T)FTP or SMB.

VPC7-0-virtual-Xy3.pdf shows what Xy3 looks like in the virtual w2k
environment in windowed mode; full screen is also available. I can shell
out to DOS from the CL.

VPC delivers in several forms. It delivers as a bare bones virtual
platform w/o any OS; you supply the OS disks yourself. Or, it delivers
as a package with w2k or XP included. I believe there may still be
earlier versions of VPC available (from Amazon or wherever) which
include(d) earlier Windows OSs.

I'm not concerned whether Microsoft continues to support VPC or not.
I've got it now and it runs. They can't take that away later.

Finally, if you want to run Word (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.) on a
Mac, there is no need to run it in a virtual Windows environment. You
can buy MS-Office for Mac; it installs right out of the box, and rather
easier than in Windows I might add.

Cheers,

JPEG image