Re: Xy on Mac revisited-Parallel Universe

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Mon, 12 Mar 2007
02:04:25 -0500

Re: CAL

I forgot to mention that CAL accepts wildcards ? and *, using Windows'
FindFirstFile function (API). E.g.:
 CAL d:\my path\Mr. R?gers Neighb*.txt
displays "d:\my path\Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.txt" aka "MRROGE~1.TXT".
For no good reason, this is undocumented -- maybe because it only gets the
first file in the filemask, and doesn't iterate through all matches, such as
files Mr. Rogers Neighborhood-2.txt and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood-3.txt. To spin
this more optimistically, you need only specify as much of the filename as
required to uniquely identify it -- what a great time- and keystroke-saver,
aye? Thus, "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood-2*" would suffice to identify & display
"Mr. Rogers Neighborhood-2.txt". (Actually, wildcards really do save a LOT of
typing in most cases, which is why I built them in.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx