PS to Re: Printing XyWrite

Jack:

        Since I was reading these messages from first to last,
I did not realize all the good advice you'd already gotten when
I posted my reply.

                                  John

At 11:04 AM 8/27/2006, you wrote:
I'm new to this forum, so kindly bear with me if this subject has already been addressed.  And don't assume great computer expertise on my part.

Need some computer help, please.  It's a problem with a new printer, HP Laserjet 1020.

For 23 years I've been using a DOS-based word processing program, XtWrite.  Currently in use is XyWrite III Plus, Version 3.57.  For printing, I've enjoyed an NEC Silentwriter 2, Model 90.  Connected to Printer Port LPT 1, you could talk to it in Postscript or, with an internal switch, talk to it in Laserjet IIP.  Set for Postscript or HP Laser, it nicely printed documents created with XyWrite. Trouble is, the NEC became obsolete.  The very high-priced printer cartridge is simply no longer reliably available.  (I was warned years ago that this would be the case: no more cartridges once those on the shelf were used up.  Remanufactured cartridges had proved unsatisfactory.)

The HP Laserjet 1020 looked as though it would be a suitable replacement.  And, indeed, it will print email, Excel, Word, Family Tree, The New York Times' crossword, etc.  But it won't print XyWrite!  Note that the computer and printer are connected by USB cable (in contrast to the former LPT1).  But when I tell XyWrite to print a file that is on the screen, XyWrite says "printer error" and declines further cooperation.

Interestingly, when I try to shut down XyWrite, after a failed attempt at printing, it announces: "Printer still active.  Do you really want to quit?"

Oh, yes, from the printer set-up menus I can send a test page to the printer.  So they are communicating - but not properly.

I have gone through hours of experimentation to no avail.  I feel there must be something obvious that I'm overlooking in my computer naivety.  A driver, maybe?

Yes, I'll gladly enlist a professional geek.  But I have the feeling that there is a simple, but not conventional, solution that may be known to others in  our very talented and dedicated community of XyWrite users..

Thanks.

        Jack Bruner

John H. Kessel
Ohio State University