Re: xy4 files

Morris Krok wrote:

> from Morris
>   essence@xxxxxxxx
>
> I am pleased to say that I am making progress by using the Xy3 keyboard and
> many of the function key commands that is found in XY3. I have also been
> able to use pfunc.pm and func.pm which Herb Tyson wrote and is included in
> his XyWrite Revealed.

See! That wasn't so hard, was it? I take it the problem of the recalcitrant
install disk has now been well and truly solved?

>  I copied Xy3's Diction file into Xy4 and renamed it Dict.hyp as it is
> called in the Startup.int file.

I don't know if you're supposed to do that or not. Let me duck out and check and
come back. (Ducks out, boots Xy4, returns to e-mail). Wa'al dang! I got me two
indentical files! One's called DICTION. and the other one's called DICTION.HYP.
Oho! I fear this issue will have to be resolved when the Wise Persons return
from the Sorcerer's Convention, or wherever they went.

> This should sort out the hypenation of words
> unless Xy4 has a more extended list.

No.

>   I do not have the following files as stated in Xy4's Command Reference
> Guide:
>   Dict.spl; xy4.hlp; word.ovr; wfbg.syn and of course editor.exe for
> 4.018. There is another one Outline Screen fonts with and SPD extension
> which is new to me. I presume that that Dict.spl, word.ovr and wfbg.syn can
> be taken from Xy3.

The fonts biz is for the Speedo fonts included with Xy4Dos. Hence the SPD
extension. They belong in a separate folder/directory of their own called,
remarkably enough, fonts. Do you _have_ such a folder/directory?

Yes, the dict.spl, word.ovr, and wfbg.syn are identical in 3 and 4.

>   Jordan, I would certainly appreciate the editor.exe for 4.018 and
> anything else you feel I need. I will take Harry's advice to include the
> ctrl-alt.shift section of Xy4.kbd.

With all due respects to Jordan and Harry, I will repeat, as I said the other
day, the best place to obtain 4.018 is from the Tech group's website. That way
you are certain to get an uncorrupted copy. I would certainly follow Harry's
advice in re the keyboard.

>     This is sure an advance of the old Remington Typewriter I used in
> 1950.

Nah! The Art Deco model Royals were better.

Carry on!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
New Address:
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)