3.54 and Laser Jet

Hi - I use XyWrite 3.54, and am having trouble getting it to print on
an HP laser jet. I used to have it on the hard disk of a machine where
I worked, and used it with the HP laser jet II there all the time.
When I left the job, I deleted XyWrite from the hard disk, of course.

Now I'm back there, and can't get it to print correctly on the HP laser
Jet II - or III, or IV, or V for that matter. I can't think what I'm
doing wrong - nothing seems to have changed, and I've tried a
half-dozen printer drivers that start with "3HP...PRN" in their names.

In particular, the problem is with the upper ascii line drawing
characters - the single and double line characters in the early IBM
ASCII set. These now come out as various other upper ASCII characters,
mostly various accented vowels.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

My TTG registration number is 471-3051-547-Y. That's actually for
XyWrite 4, which I own, but I've never been able to get that to work
satisfactorily on my old hardware, so I stick with 3.54.

--
  -Steffan O'Sullivan    sos@xxxxxxxx   Plymouth, NH
       ------ http://oz.plymouth.edu/~gaming/ ------