Re: Hello to All you XyWrite 3.5X ers

≪ You mean, you modified the EDITOR.EXE file? Or what? ≫

Well, yes, just to be sure I could reverse the process I created various
back-up copies in the same directory:
Editorig.exe---Untouched if nothing works.
edit1.exe---first try
edit1a.exe---works but needs more work, and so on.

Using PCTOOLS version 4.22 (that will take you back a few years) in resident
mode helps to speed things along. Search for the string "≪≫" and see if it
is on the same page as the Serial Number. If it is, change both to
[126,127]. save and load XyWrite.

If you have sucessfully exchanged the two ASCIIs you will see the text files
created ignoring the ≪ and ≫ and now responding to ASCII 126 and the ASCII
127.

Saving this version, you make a copy and then you must replace any other
formatting markers in the DATA section of the EDITOR.EXE.

 This would include the normal text formating strings since XyQuest liked
their system so much they used their formatting system to create their spell
checker screen, tab screens and so on.

I also replaced the ASCII box graphical characters with lower ASCII
characters: +, -, |, so my entire upper ASCII set could be free of XyWrite
usage. In this way the screen will display cleaner than having foreign
language ROM characters on your screen.

For testing, it is handy to have a simple STARTUP.INT which loads a test
screen with the new format marks.

While you are at it you could add the following changes in place of the now
useless address and phone number in your working copy:

≪VA$me≫ (with the new ASCIIs in place of ≪ and ≫) to show memory.
≪VA EG≫ Screen settings
and the ≪DAMmmm d, YYYY≫ and other useful information that you might like
to have handy when you press [F5]?[F9]. It becomes a great diagnostics tool
for doing a checkup on your OS. See pages 6-6ff in your XyWrite 3.5 manual
for more info.

Hope this information is helpful.

Your fellow XyWriter,
Don